Areas of Practice
At Kaufmann Gildin, getting it done is not just a catchphrase. It is our mission. It is our calling. It is our resolve.
Kaufmann Gildin’s extraordinary expertise in the fields of franchising, litigation, investment fraud, real estate, corporate/commercial/securities transactions, securitization financings, and estate planning is perhaps best reflected by the treasured clients who place their trust and confidence in us when confronting significant opportunities, crises or simply everyday legal counsel and support:
- In Franchising, Licensing and Distribution , working with some of the nation’s largest and most prestigious franchisors, as well as innumerable start-ups and midscale franchisors, structuring or modifying their franchise networks; preparing the franchise agreements and disclosure documents necessary to achieve their goals; securing for them all required franchise registrations, both around the country and around the world; furnishing day-to-day advice and counsel; serving as their franchise counsel in some of the largest franchise mergers, acquisitions, and securitization financings ever accomplished; engaging in government and media relations to their advantage; representing them in trials, appeals and arbitrations with remarkable fervor and results; and, authoring the International Franchise Association’s seminal reference work, An Introduction to the Law of Franchising.
- In Litigation and Appeals , representing with zeal, experience and stunning effectiveness individuals and corporations involved in critical and high-profile legal proceedings. Kaufmann Gildin’s litigators appear in trial courts, appellate courts and arbitration forums throughout the United States. Our litigation record speaks for itself, and what it says in remarkable. And as with all other aspects of our practice, the degree of efficiency and economy which we bring to bear to litigation is extraordinary.
- In Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions , handling the most delicate and critical negotiations, whether in this country or internationally, with consummate skill and optimal results. Producing extraordinarily tight contracts that accurately reflect the ultimate deal and minimize the likelihood that litigation will ever ensue (and, if it does, ensuring that the terms of the contract itself are so well crafted that the client should prevail). Incorporating and furnishing critical counsel to start-up companies and entrepreneurs. Servicing the needs of established companies.
- In Real Estate , handling transactions ranging from the complex sale of one of 42nd Street’s premier office buildings to negotiating leases in Rockefeller Center and major malls and shopping centers nationwide for restaurants and major retailers, while also serving as counsel to coop and condominium boards of directors and handling acquisitions and conveyances of commercial and residential properties.
- In Securities Industry Representation: Investors and Brokers, our partner-in-charge — David Robbins — literally wrote the book: the definitive “Securities Arbitration Procedure Manual” relied on daily by other lawyers, arbitrators, law schools and the securities industry itself (where virtually all customer-broker disputes must be arbitrated and not litigated in court). David serves as an arbitrator and mediator for the New York Stock Exchange; FINRA Dispute Resolution, Inc. (Formerly NASD Dispute Resolution, Inc.); and, the American Arbitration Association. He previously served as Director of Compliance and Director of Arbitration of the American Stock Exchange (and, before that, as a securities fraud criminal prosecutor) and has successfully represented investors, brokers, investment advisors and brokerage houses throughout the United States and around the world with remarkable success.
- In Franchise Securitization Financing , structuring (with co-counsel) the template for the first successful securitization of a franchisor’s royalty stream ever accomplished and thereafter serving as franchise counsel in nearly every succeeding franchise securitization which has transpired in the United States.
- In Estate Planning , drawing on its deep knowledge of all pertinent tax, property, securities, business organization, banking, trust and real estate laws to identify those techniques and structures legally available to protect and preserve your hard earned wealth and guard it from taxation to the maximum extent possible.